Careers at UAMS |RN Case Manager
The RN Care Manager is responsible for managing the continuum of care for admission through discharge for assigned patients. The role reflects appropriate knowledge of the RN scope of practice, current state requirements, CMS Conditions of Participation, EMTALA, Patient Bill of Rights, AB 1203 and other Federal or State regulatory agency requirements specific to discharge planning. The RN Care Manager partners with the multi-disciplinary team, utilizes scientific evidence for best practices, relevant data and compliance with the Mission and Core Values of UAMS.
This is only a summary of the typical functions of the job, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible position responsibilities, tasks, and duties.
Job Duties (Performs Role of):
Nursing Process (50%) –
1. Initiates appropriate referrals to internal and external interdisciplinary teams.
2. Establishes a working diagnosis on every patient at the time of the initial review.
3. Communicates the target length of stay estimated discharge on every patient at the time of the initial review and coordinates the discharge planning process in collaboration with the interdisciplinary team.
4. Documents all team, physician, and patient/family communication and concerns pertaining to coordinating of care and services.
5. Responsible for InterQual screening on every patient admitted to the hospital, including initial, continued stay and completion of discharge screens.
6. Communicates with physicians regarding the level of care or admission status when appropriate criteria are not met for inpatient, observation, or continued stay review.
7. Identifies, intervenes on taking a proactive approach to ensure right time discharges and documents avoidable and denied days and discharge delays.
8. Identifies patient/families with psychosocial and/or non-medical discharge planning needs and refers to the Social Work team member as appropriate.
9. Assess the patient prior to discharge to determine if the plan is appropriate and makes necessary revisions.
10. Identifies and refers cases appropriate for Ethics Committee consideration.
Education/EBP/Research /QI (10%) - Participates in Performance Improvement, Evidenced Based Practice/Research process. Systematically evaluates the quality and effectiveness of nursing practice. Supports the integration of current evidence into nursing practices. Promotes an environment conducive to positive educational experience for all students and staff. Provides effective patient/family education (link to PFCC).
Communication/Collaboration (30%) - Implements POC using an approach that is interdisciplinary with Patient and Family Centered Care. Effectively collaborates and communicates with the multidisciplinary team at all levels. Communicates care appropriately through documentation in the medical record. Reports variances in care/systems/processes through the appropriate means.
Leadership (10%) - Acts as a resource to others in the performance of duties. Demonstrates a commitment to the personal and professional development of other UAMS employees. Participates in recruitment/retention of staff. Facilitates development and implementation of nursing practice standards that are evidence-based and in compliance with standards.
Other duties may be assigned in order to meet the UAMS core values and business needs of the division.
Customer Service: Interacts with and assists the public in a professional and friendly manner as needed. Demonstrates effective communication skills; communicates accurate and complete information; maintains strict confidentiality when necessary. Demonstrates positive working relationships with co-workers, management team, and ancillary departments; follows the Core Concepts of Patient and Family Centered Care and the Basic Code of Conduct Guidelines. Assist internal and external stakeholders as needed with exceptional customer service.
Minimum Qualifications or Competencies (Essential for the job – the applicant must have at the time of hire) Basic competency include but are not limited to education, experience, licensed require, or physical requirements.
Baccalaureate Degree, ADN, or Diploma RN Degree;
Education, special or professional:
Experience, length in years and kind:
3 years RN experience with current BLS certification.
Licenses, certificates, or registration
Valid Arkansas Registered Nursing License